The Manager will be part of a team responsible for the market risk management of trading business lines. Key responsibilities include market risk monitoring, reporting, limit setting, and breach identification and remediation of core U.S. business lines. The risk manager will participate in business reviews, limit monitoring, assist in preparing presentations for management and regulatory meetings, as well as work in close collaboration with the trading desks as a valued partner by identifying key risks and assessing market conditions. The risk manager will work closely and under the direction of the overall team focused on all of the product groups, as well as Trade Floor Risk Management (TFRM) colleagues and other jurisdictions as part of a global market risk initiative. Additional responsibilities include ad-hoc analysis of market risk metrics, anticipating the risk needs of the business, and enhancement of internal and external market risk reporting.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operation of the U.S. Market Risk Management team by
providing support on the following areas including, but not limited to:
o Daily reporting and monitoring of U.S. market risk metrics across all product groups.
o Identifying market risk limit breaches, verifying the accuracy of the breaches, discussing next actions to be performed by the desk to remediate the breach, then following up with reporting that discusses the causes of the breach, actions taken, and follow up steps.
o Assisting with market risk reporting enhancements, particularly using Tableau and other propriety systems to develop improved analytics.
o Working closely with both local and global teams in addressing enhancements and any remediation efforts. Presenting materials to global TFRM for project work that educates the global team.
o Preparing a daily morning synopsis of the market developments in the concentration areas assigned to the risk manager, working diligently to be aware of general macro market themes and staying abreast of developments throughout the day.
o Assisting in the preparation each month and each quarter, of reporting that is used by the various committees and reporting viewed by the U.S. and foreign regulators, specifically the U.S. Market and Liquidity Risk Committee.
o Creating periodic Chief Risk Officer (CRO) dashboards and other ad-hoc reports or presentations to keep all levels of management informed of key initiatives, risks, and issues. Providing a collaborative partnership to trading desks / business lines by facilitating risk requests and providing risk insights with deep understanding of how the business makes money and what drives decision making.
o Playing an active role in the Volcker monitoring process in the U.S. while working closely with the Toronto teams helping to drive observance of the Volcker policies globally. Contributing to the annual Volcker attestation process in the U.S.
o Working closely with the Exposure and Capital Analytics team (ECA) in Toronto, who produces the daily key risk measure data for the bank.
o Valuation – Recommend changes in valuation methodology as needed. Maintain Official Rate Source Document for covered products. Identify risk taking activities and valuation issues through oversight of daily P&L attribution analysis.
- Contributes to cross-functional and regulatory initiatives, and stand-alone written products to be sponsored, led, and/or authored by the U.S. Market Risk Management
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge
- Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions
- Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in financial industry, preferably risk management or trading desks
- Quantitative Undergrad (eg. finance, mathematics, statistics, engineering) plus Masters preferred. Progress towards/completion of CFA/FRM/PRM an asset, but not required.
- Knowledge of R, Python, or Tableau preferred.
- Experience in Management Information System (MIS) reporting
- Strong writing skills and experience drafting policies, procedures or briefs
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Experience interfacing with range of stakeholders – internal and external parties, but specifically front office personnel, operational risk 1B, and front office management
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Tableau, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Proactive decision-maker; must take initiative in a highly time sensitive environment
- Team player
- Highly organized with an ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-stakeholder environment and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Create problem solving and the ability to motivate others and implement new solutions.