Our client; a global bank is recognized as one of the global leaders in providing financial services to the marine transportation, energy, and seafood industries. The New York branch serves corporate customers in the bank’s strategic business areas and together with 2 other US offices.
The Corporate Compliance Officer directly reports to and supports the Local Head of Compliance to ensure effective and efficient execution and continued development of the Compliance function in the North America region.
Main areas of responsibility
• Assist in the local execution of the Group Compliance framework including delivery of compliance risk assessments and the annual planning for the local Compliance function.
• Serve as a trusted specialist adviser for the first line of defense as it relates to applicable legal and regulatory requirements and expectations, internal policies, industry best practices and regulatory trends.
• Challenge the first line of defense where Compliance believes internal processes, procedures or controls require enhancement to effectively manage regulatory risk.
• Execute the regular Compliance-owned monitoring controls.
• Track and report on regulatory changes.
• Develop, plan and execute Compliance testing of the business and support functions. Some AML compliance knowledge and willingness to perform assurance testing of the AML Compliance function is needed.
• Compile and deliver comprehensive reporting to head office and local management providing both updates on Compliance activities and assessments of the compliance status of the first line of defense.
• Coordinate with Group Compliance to ensure Compliance participation in local initiatives is aligned to the Group Chief Compliance Officer’s and Group Compliance’s mandate and expectations.
• Manage or participate in applicable projects undertaken to meet regulatory or Group requirements.
• Manage the library of Compliance-owned records.
• Streamline local policies to operate within Group’s governance structure.
• Represent the firm as a liaison with regulators and assist in the management of regulatory examinations.
• Assist management in responding to compliance-related findings from Group Audit.
• Participate in and represent the Bank at financial industry compliance-related associations; and contribute with experience and knowledge into the compliance risk groups through participation in relevant forums and workgroups.
• Optimize the Bank’s brand and ensure the department is perceived as professional with high ethical standards
• Securing compliance with internal policies/guidelines and rules, as well as ensuring that the local operations comply with all external rules and regulations
• Develop and follow up on performance review goals
• Undergraduate degree.
• Masters degree in business or law degree preferred.
• Strong knowledge of U.S. compliance-related laws and regulations.
• Ability to read and understand new or unfamiliar regulations.
• Ability to assess regulatory risk and help management prioritize.
• Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
• Project and issues management skills.
• Problem-solving skills.
• English language (fluent).
Required professional experience
• Broad experience across various sets of regulations.
• 8+ years of legal and compliance experience.
• Experience managing regulatory compliance projects.
• Experience interacting directly with regulators.
• Foreign bank/matrix management experience preferred.
• Can execute tasks with independence.
• Proactive, energetic and positive approach.
• Thinks strategically and identifies simple, practical solutions.
• Works collaboratively.
• High personal integrity.