The Senior Compliance Officer/Senior Counsel will provide legal and compliance oversight including developing and maintaining effective controls designed to monitor the effectiveness of the compliance program, ensuring and supporting the review of the appropriateness of the compliance system and procedures and implementing necessary remediation for any identified deficiencies.
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of the business and its activities in order to ensure adequate legal and compliance oversight and resources as the business needs evolve over time; advise the business on emerging legal and compliance issues.
• Work with branch management, operations, supervision, product specialists, compliance professionals, and others to review, develop and implement compliance and supervision policies and procedures and risk management analyses.
• Identify and respond to ongoing regulatory changes, ensure implementation of required policies and procedures and appropriate operational and compliance oversight.
• Participate and, where appropriate, coordinate and lead resolution of regulatory inquiries and customer complaints.
• Assist in responding to regulatory exams, external and internal audits, annual compliance reviews and risk assessments.
• Develop solutions and lead any required remediation of compliance gaps to completion.
• Conduct surveillance and monitoring of trading activities and of supervisory reviews conducted by branch management and central supervision functions.
• Provide legal and regulatory advice to senior management and department heads on existing and new legal and regulatory matters affecting the Firm.
• Partner with Compliance Officers, Risk Management, Operations and IT to evaluate and propose solutions to regulatory and legal risks
• Provide legal and regulatory analysis of new and expanded product and service offerings.
• Review marketing and advertising for compliance with FINRA rules.
• Liaise with other business areas to provide legal and compliance assistance and support regarding strategic regulatory matters.
• A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience with demonstrated compliance, supervision or legal experience with a broker-dealer required and variable and fixed annuity compliance experience a plus.
• Knowledge of the securities industry, from a product, corporate governance, compliance and operational perspective.
• Experience and knowledge of FINRA, SEC, state securities and firm-specific rules and regulations relating to broker-dealers and investment advisors.
• The ideal candidate will have technology and database experience.
• FINRA series 7 license preferred; series 24 or series 9/10 licenses strongly preferred.
• BA/BS degree required; MBA or law degree a plus.