Investment Management Client
Office Status: Hybrid (4 times per week in office)
Compensation: $100k-$150k base
A real estate investment and property management firm based in NYC is seeking a Controller to start up an accounting and finance division. The Controller will report into the Director of Operations with a direct line of contact to the Managing Partner / Head of Acquisitions. The firm’s AUM is around $1B, they invest in and operate over 3,000 properties in 4 different states and are set to double in size over the next 2 years. The Controller will have full ownership over financial reporting and FP&A and be charged with building out the team. They currently outsource administrative accounting work. There is a ton of exposure to leadership and a big element of strategy involved in this position.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with Property Management stakeholders and other field personnel to ensure the accounting properly reflects the operations.
- Function as liaison between our NYC office and Regional / Community Managers to ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare all aspects of the financial statement package, including creating and posting journal entries, detailed general ledger account review and completion of all backup schedules needed, including footnotes.
- Create and prepare ancillary schedules including depreciation, amortization, work in process, capital and rent analysis.
- Ensure all month-end processes are followed and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Review variances in financial statements and document explanations for significant items.
- Compile, review and evaluate budget information and provide feedback.
- Prepare bank reconciliations and ensure all reconciling items are resolved in a timely manner.
- Responsible for monthly replacement reserve and capital reserve processing.
- Reconciliation of balance sheet and P&L accounts.
- Review, investigate and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Ensure all debt, real estate tax and insurance payments are made in a timely manner and all work papers are updated and maintained.
- Assists with special projects and due diligence as requested.