The candidate for this position will join the trading compliance group as person responsible for responding to regulatory inquiries from the SEC, FINRA, and other securities regulators, as well as leading routine regulatory exams. The Regulatory Affairs Specialist will handle all types of regulatory inquiries, but inquiries are expected to focus on equity, fixed income, and options trading, especially market making, best execution, Regulation NMS, short sales, trade reporting, mark-ups/commissions, manipulation, and anti-money laundering.
- Interface with regulators, including negotiating request limitations and response deadlines;
- Collect documents and information for purposes of responding to requests;
- Analysis of requests, responses, and related documents for potential regulatory issues;
- Interface with business units, legal department, operations, and other internal groups in connection with preparation of responses and gathering documents;
- Prepare written responses;
- Review and prepare documents for production to regulators;
- Escalate potential issues within Compliance and Legal Departments;
- Ensure timely and accurate responses to all regulatory inquiries;
- Work closely with Chief Compliance Officer in taking lead role in facilitating routine regulatory examinations of the firm including Sales Practice, Trading and Financial and Operations Exams;
- Mentor or manage future regulatory affairs junior compliance associates.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in securities compliance, including a minimum of 5 years handling inquiries from securities regulators such as the SEC and FINRA
- Significant experience analyzing securities trading
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Superior analytical skills
- Must have strong attention to detail and time management skills
- Intermediate to superior computer/technology skills, particularly using systems to retrieve order and trade data and Microsoft Excel.
- Law degree a plus